Down East Credit Union
Down East Credit Union began as St. Croix Federal Credit Union, founded in 1941 by the employees of St. Croix Pulp and Paper Company. In 1985, a community charter was granted to include the towns of Princeton, Baileyville, Baring, and Calais. In 1996, the charter expanded to include all of Washington County, followed in 1999 with an expansion to include Waldo County. In 2004 our Field of Membership was expanded to include all who live, work, worship, attend school, or conduct business in Washington, Waldo, Hancock, or Penobscot counties. In March of 2006, we changed our name to Down East Federal Credit Union. In November of 2006, we converted from a federally-chartered to a state-chartered credit union. This change allowed us to continue with our plans for growth and expansion, while keeping our federally insured status. In 2007 a merger between Bowdoinham Federal Credit Union with offices in Bowdoinham and Richmond was presented to membership. With the approval of members of both credit unions, the merger was approved and official on July 30, 2007. Down East Credit Union currently serves over 15,000 members from eight locations.See http://www.downeastcu.com
AttributesYear Founded: 1941
Type of Organization
Editors of this entry
There is no current editor for this entry. Would you like to become the editor for this entry?